So, I graduated from IIT Kharagpur. IITs, you would have heard a lot about the skewed sex ratios and how girls can't make it to this elite institute. Well, that is just starters. Gender bias inside the institute is painful and sad at so many levels. I do not speak for all girls but for a good enough bunch who deserve to be heard. I do not speak against any gender but against this society which proves that education has nothing to do with biases. I speak for myself! And it is important to speak today because these conversations need to be heard beyond hostel rooms, beyond coffee shops, beyond our own ears.
This is going to be a series of posts. Of course, there is so much I can tell about that, that this space isn't sufficient but I am going to make myself heard, today! 4 years after I graduated from KGP when I realize how it has brought out the worst of me, a small town conservative Telugu girl.
First Year
Non-Males: 1st Month
She said, "So, they call us non-males here"
Me: "Oh! That's good na, they think we are equals. We are as good as them, just not males." (Because I thought it was good being like a guy - yeah, traditional grooming.)
She said, "No dumbo, it's not because we are equals but because we are not feminine enough to be called females."
I cringed. What? But why would someone say that?, I thought to myself. Then I saw those T-shirts of how non-beautiful all the girls are in our college and those DC chats with how ugly facchis (first years) were. I heard people talking about one girl's facial hair and so on...
Campus isn't safe! 2nd Month
This lovely senior of mine who I adore, came one night to the first year's block. She said, "Soon, you'll have auditions and guys will make advances. If things go beyond control, you see people pushing you to something, inform me. We are here to protect you. Every senior is here to take care of you. Things have happened in past which I won't mention now, but be careful!"
But, but why would someone do something wrong here, this is IIT. I..I shouldn't talk to guys, isn't that what Mom said too. I did not venture out, no society, no roaming in campus. May be I did over-react but it always made me wonder why she said so!
You can't win! You are girls. Girls don't win. 4th Month
"Why you are even working on it, you know girls don't win ILLU!! May you can try Rangoli, that's more a girl thing, you know!", my batchmate said.
"But, but I work hard for it, every night. I want to work for winning, why do you think I can't. I'll show you, I can." A silent gender battle I started within myself, to win against them. And then came Dramatics. So many nights of endless rehearsals. They said, "We had to prove ourselves".
"Why do I have to always prove? May be it will end if I prove this one time." On stage, during the most emotionally sad scene, these bunch of guys laughed. Laughed so hard that everyone laughed, even the judges. I cried. I..I worked hard for this, they can't do this. And, yes they did it only for the girls' hostel! "Come on, you can't win. The laugh might make judges sympathetic and give you a consolation. You shall be thankful", he said. May be, may be he was right. May be we weren't good enough. The next four years, I never told my team we should play to win. I said, we won't, let's just have some fun.
"Not beautiful, not elected" 9th Month
"She is not beautiful. Let us choose her, she is beautiful and smart. Guys would give her votes", they said in the hostel. They said, "Let's be practical. We value skills but guys would vote for hotness. Didn't they make her lose last year because she wasn't charming enough?"
But, you are my seniors, I thought. How could you say or think like this. May be you are right. Beauty does matter but I am not pretty. May be, I should become more shady. Shady, so that no one notices. Because notice might bring comments I am not ready to hear. It will bring those chats on DC++ about my body, I don't want to hear that.
"Vigil Team" 10th Month
"Ladki log aaj bahut badmashi karta hai. Hall day hain na. Pee-paake late jaata, phir humko jaake laana padtha." - said the security didi. The day when everyone gets high at someone's else's hostel. Everyone is allowed to enter every other hostel.
I should, I should come back soon. That would be safe. Then, then I saw them running. What happened I asked. "A batchmate got drunk and they are taking pictures, indecent ones. We got to bring her back." I knew what would follow. Endless pursuit of removing those pictures from DC++, which no matter what, would surface again.
Thank God I stayed back!
The society has affected us in ways we never realize. IIT KGP was one place where gender insensitivity was ingrained in all genders. It damaged me in ways I couldn't come to terms with.
More to follow.
This is going to be a series of posts. Of course, there is so much I can tell about that, that this space isn't sufficient but I am going to make myself heard, today! 4 years after I graduated from KGP when I realize how it has brought out the worst of me, a small town conservative Telugu girl.
First Year
Non-Males: 1st Month
She said, "So, they call us non-males here"
Me: "Oh! That's good na, they think we are equals. We are as good as them, just not males." (Because I thought it was good being like a guy - yeah, traditional grooming.)
She said, "No dumbo, it's not because we are equals but because we are not feminine enough to be called females."
I cringed. What? But why would someone say that?, I thought to myself. Then I saw those T-shirts of how non-beautiful all the girls are in our college and those DC chats with how ugly facchis (first years) were. I heard people talking about one girl's facial hair and so on...
Campus isn't safe! 2nd Month
This lovely senior of mine who I adore, came one night to the first year's block. She said, "Soon, you'll have auditions and guys will make advances. If things go beyond control, you see people pushing you to something, inform me. We are here to protect you. Every senior is here to take care of you. Things have happened in past which I won't mention now, but be careful!"
But, but why would someone do something wrong here, this is IIT. I..I shouldn't talk to guys, isn't that what Mom said too. I did not venture out, no society, no roaming in campus. May be I did over-react but it always made me wonder why she said so!
You can't win! You are girls. Girls don't win. 4th Month
"Why you are even working on it, you know girls don't win ILLU!! May you can try Rangoli, that's more a girl thing, you know!", my batchmate said.
"But, but I work hard for it, every night. I want to work for winning, why do you think I can't. I'll show you, I can." A silent gender battle I started within myself, to win against them. And then came Dramatics. So many nights of endless rehearsals. They said, "We had to prove ourselves".
"Why do I have to always prove? May be it will end if I prove this one time." On stage, during the most emotionally sad scene, these bunch of guys laughed. Laughed so hard that everyone laughed, even the judges. I cried. I..I worked hard for this, they can't do this. And, yes they did it only for the girls' hostel! "Come on, you can't win. The laugh might make judges sympathetic and give you a consolation. You shall be thankful", he said. May be, may be he was right. May be we weren't good enough. The next four years, I never told my team we should play to win. I said, we won't, let's just have some fun.
"Not beautiful, not elected" 9th Month
"She is not beautiful. Let us choose her, she is beautiful and smart. Guys would give her votes", they said in the hostel. They said, "Let's be practical. We value skills but guys would vote for hotness. Didn't they make her lose last year because she wasn't charming enough?"
But, you are my seniors, I thought. How could you say or think like this. May be you are right. Beauty does matter but I am not pretty. May be, I should become more shady. Shady, so that no one notices. Because notice might bring comments I am not ready to hear. It will bring those chats on DC++ about my body, I don't want to hear that.
"Vigil Team" 10th Month
"Ladki log aaj bahut badmashi karta hai. Hall day hain na. Pee-paake late jaata, phir humko jaake laana padtha." - said the security didi. The day when everyone gets high at someone's else's hostel. Everyone is allowed to enter every other hostel.
I should, I should come back soon. That would be safe. Then, then I saw them running. What happened I asked. "A batchmate got drunk and they are taking pictures, indecent ones. We got to bring her back." I knew what would follow. Endless pursuit of removing those pictures from DC++, which no matter what, would surface again.
Thank God I stayed back!
The society has affected us in ways we never realize. IIT KGP was one place where gender insensitivity was ingrained in all genders. It damaged me in ways I couldn't come to terms with.
More to follow.
P.S. DC++ is a local file sharing hub with chat option.
ILLU is a traditional way of celebrating Diwali at KGP, which involves making giant figures on big structures lighting oil diyas.
3 years since you graduated :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a relevant read Saraswati!
ReplyDeleteThank you for writing this. It is my fervent hope many many people read this and understand the subtle, and often irreversible ways in which we initiate, manifest and propagate sexism.
Happy writing!
I can completely relate to you!!! I studied in a co ed professional college too and if you are not "a looker" guys will not even speak to you!!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSaraswati: a very relevant post. I hope, rather wish, this post acts as an cleansing agent for KGP culture.
ReplyDeleteanother angle to looking at this issue would be that boys Vs girls ratio in KGP is so bad that boys have to make such lingos of cha cha land just satisfy themselves {something like khatte angoor :P}. Those lingos has nothing to do with the reality. Since, boys are in majority such lingos are heard/spoken more. This is a nice push back to all that bullshit.
P.S: Saraswati: you are very pretty!
Not just the students. were you aware of the sexual harassment issue of a research scholar by an elderly EC dept professor ?
ReplyDeleteNo, I am not. But please share, if you know something. If you want me to write about it, I ll do it. My email id is saraswati0508@gmail.com.
DeleteI am not aware of research scholars, I was intending to write un-pleasant sexual remarks, my friends and I have faced from profs across departments.
Wow! I encourage your "breaking out of cocoon" after 4 years. But seriously, "4 years!!" IITs are all about exposure. Sorry if u got exposed to the ills of society..but girl,don't try to generalize the matter,it stinks. The opinion which you portrayed here might be of a few,but that doesn't mean whole IIT community thinks like this.It might be a case where name-calling(It's humorous when you were so naive about the non-males) is prevalent,then again,if you had so much of a trouble,you could have given voice to this earlier. It's about time you should grow up rather than writing blogs which are nothing but a scam towards generalization. I know from first-hand,that the cases/instances you point out,girls have came out and confronted boys and you know what,good came out of that..Constructive dialogue always leads to result rather than moaning about it year later.. Just saying this as an advice,grow up! and try to approach in gandhian way. Shit happens! get through it!
ReplyDeleteI can only smile at this. :)
DeleteWhy don't you give a voice to yourself and come out un-anonymous for a change. Wonder, what is stopping you?
what an ass. seriously. And anon too.
DeleteDude, this IS constructive dialogue. Don't bring distraction and DESCTRUCTION here.
DeleteConstructive Dialogue ?? Can I laugh please..I know it from my first hand that a girl comes out, confronted the boy and he ends up blaming the girl for being a characterless.
Deleteand threatens to do so again..and it happened in KGP!!
Wow, laugh out loud, should I at that. A "man" ( I hope) who is speaking of clear dialogue, confrontation and courage does not have the balls to reveal his name himself :)
DeleteSaraswati..it is not the story of IIT Kgp alone..women need to be in constant vigilance in all realms of life, throughout their life. It is one big struggle and not even the ones closest to you will spare you based on how you look/dress. Gender bias is an ongoing thing in our society and not even the Far West is spared from this malice, leave aside India. Your writing is good and I am sure most of us can relate to it. This is the general scenario everywhere, with very few exceptions. But unless we voice our opinions then and there, it will never change. When life or anybody else tries to throw shit at you, mix your own shit with it and throw it back at them! :)
ReplyDeleteHey... Good write, I encourage you to bring a healthy debate over this topic. Some things I don't understand are, who is wearing the provocative dresses? who told em to wear it inside? You can say its a free country but who told em to ditch all the Indian values? There is a super romantic movie which talks about a love between two young buds and there is a movie which criticizes every part of Indian marriage which one to follow? Who has to take the blame? Society which is creating/created a gender imbalance or a guy who is talking rubbish on DC++. Or is it the wrong doing of the girl who has been offended and not rose her voice appropriately? I personally had a bad relationship with a girl who I loved, she failed to love me because I couldn't care about her much, due to some circumstances. Is it ok for me to show finger at all the ladies all passing by saying they are a bunch of self obsessed lunatics? no right. My point is we should discuss on solutions to the problems that both are facing than criticizing who is right and who is wrong.
ReplyDeleteI see very huge number of posts that has a good intent in mind but derailed of the topic just because someone become so attached to topic that who doesn't allow any others views.
We being Humans try to make the society much better place for both than butchering the others freedom or etc.
Lets point out your views for the better future.
Take a deep breath...gather your thoughts...and try to make sense, my friend!
DeleteHowever, from experience, you will not get the point of the above sentence. So I will try, to the best of my cognitive ability, to relate your rant to the topic at hand and answer your questions.
1. Can you please explain what you mean by "provocative"? How is it okay for guys to bare skin, and not girls?Trust me every time I see a guy urinating in public, I get "provoked" and feel like stabbing him. That, my friend, is indecent exposing, a skirt 4 inches above the knee is not. It only calls for a level of maturity in one's (in this case highly educated) peers.
2. I am not sure what "inside" is, but nobody told them. Nobody needs to tell adult women what to do. Please take a moment to internalize this idea before we proceed.
3. "Indian values" taught me to not steal, not lie, respect my elders and be responsible in my actions. You maybe referring to a different set that comes with a dress-code, but I am not aware of it. I, however, had the impression that Indian values also teach men to "respect women as divine". How come nobody cares about that particular value anymore? (I am countering this point with your argument, from my point of view, there is ethics and conscience...country of origin is of little consequence)
4.I have no clue how the movies are related to this topic, but while I am on the subject, did you watch Hotel Rwanda?It is awesome!
5.Who has to take the blame has a very simple answer. Every person for their personal actions that contribute to the situation. It is called accountability. The guy on DC++ definitely deserves blame. Society is adveresely biased due to a large number of such individuals who deserve blame. The girl doesn't deserve blame for what happened but needs to learn the importance of standing up for herself and be aware of her role in shaping society (so yeah, a little bit of blame).
6. I'm really sorry about the girl, bro! But please realize that Saraswati's article is not against her evil uncaring boyfriend! It is about a social situation that made her, and presumably a lot of other girls rather uncomfortable in the formative years of their lives. It is not about pointing fingers, it is about pointing out facts. She raised her voice appropriately, receive it in good grace.
I like how you realize that we get derailed from topics while speaking our mind. Please go over the article one more time, and realize that at some point you got defensive. Then, let's have a debate, no, a discussion all over again :)
Well-said Tiya
DeleteWell-said Tiya
DeleteI would also like to add - "Girls receive good grades because their handwriting is better, and they can draw better".
ReplyDelete"Achchi dikhne wali bandiyon ko A B lagta hai.... sabko nahi" - told to me by a proff! (and million guys too)
DeleteDolon, that bias is also made by 'male' assessors, not females. Btw, guys are so governed by macho image that they wud rather have a bad incomprehensible handwriting than be called 'feminine' for a naturally good handwriting. So, is it the girls who force their male classmates to write badly or male profs to assess on flimsy parameters? Why cant men just own up their skewed perceptions?
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI m a guy kgpian 2009 pass out. Regrettably I was guilty of many of the crimes here . Outside college I talked about non males . Inside college I condoned and covered up gossips in guys circles. Even when friends were targeted I did not once walk out . Thankfully I changed later and I did not find myself in circles listening to gossips . This is a part of life I regret and wish to say sorry for being a lesser human being when I could have done better .
ReplyDeleteHimangshu,
DeleteI did not start to write the post seeking apologies from men. I do believe that the problem has been with the grooming. But I confess that the apology did silence some demons inside, so thank you! It means something.
Himangshu, a big thanks for realising this and showing the courage to own it up.
DeleteGreat post Saraswati. People can argue over #NotAllMen but they fail to realize that #YesAllWomen is the real problem. We all suffered in some or the other form! And that is a sad fact.
ReplyDeleteCouldnt agree more Rachana!
DeleteEveryone of us has been part of it ... one way or other but yet we choose to ignore it by giving excuses.
ReplyDeleteKudos to you for penning this down, and hope someday another girl doesn't suffer the same ..
To all the women who seem to be verbose about this topic/issue, I know every one of them. I lived in the same place for five years. What is funny is that everyone seems against it but never once do I remember seeing them flinch in the face of such things back in college. No they laughed and spent most of the time taking the place of so called men but inside the so-called safe hostel. LOL. Most of the seniors treat you like slaves. You gotta lick those asses man or you are fucked. Anyway I am glad it was that way, I learnt to stay the hell away from people who are so sweet outward but have no voice inside. If you are wondering why I am anonymous it is because I have no interest in being known in the lives of people that i spent 5 years with. I have moved on and I want to keep it that way.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with the author's ideas of gender discrimination at IITs. I would not be surprised if the same is true at all the institutions of higher education in the country.
ReplyDeleteNot to dampen the intensity of the issue, but this makes me think about how difficult it is for gender non-conforming people and gender queers.
And with all due respects, male/female are not genders but sexes. Man/woman are genders.
Absolutely Ashish. You are not dampening the intensity. It is something that bothers me too.
Delete